Heritage Venue for Hire

Make a Booking Enquiry >>

Frequently Asked Questions


  1. The website says that the Gallery can seat 80 – can this number be increased if guests are not seated – for a drinks party for example?
    A. The Gallery can take up to 80 people and the Meeting Room can accommodate 35. These are maximum numbers due to fire regulations. Tables are rectangular and two longer length tables are available for use as a ‘top table’ or for buffet serving. Numbers cannot be increased unless the reception/party also includes the outside space, for example holding a hog roast.
  2. Can we use the grass outside? Can we use it to have a hog roast?
    A. Yes provided the hog roast comes from a reputable source which has the proper stand and ground cover sheets etc. Please note that apart from nine small tables Church House does not provide tables or chairs for outside use.
  3. Can we get married in Church House?
    A. Church House does not have a licence for marriages. However, Church House is often used for receptions after wedding ceremonies which take place in The Church of the Holy Ghost (Church of England), directly opposite. Humanist services can take place if prior notification is given. This service is usually confirmation after register office ceremony.
  4. We have disabled guests – will they be able to use the Gallery?
    A. There are internal and external stairs to the Gallery but no lift. Toilets are on the ground floor and one offers disabled access.
  5. What cooking facilities are available?
    A. The Servery contains a large warming oven, two electric hobs, an induction ring and a commercial microwave. We can recommend caterers who are familiar with working in the Church House Servery and bring their own portable oven to cook meals.
  6. What crockery, cutlery and glasses are provided?
    A. There are place settings for 80 (good quality white crockery) and good quality cutlery. Also included are water jugs and tumblers, wine glasses, cups, saucers and mugs and serving platters. A commercial dishwasher is installed in the Servery.
  7. Can we light candles for the tables?
    A. Since this is a heritage grade ll* building, candles pose significant fire risks. No naked lights, please.
  8. Can we have a band or disco?
    A. Yes. Music has to finish as per standard conditions of hire usually 11.30pm and levels, please, to respect neighbouring properties.
  9. Do we need a licence to serve alcohol?
    A. A licence is not needed to serve alcohol, except if money is changing hands such as a cash bar, in which case a licence must be obtained. This is known as a TENS (Temporary Event Notice) licence and is granted by the local council. The Church House Booking Form has details. Most providers of a cash bar have their own licence which covers where the venue where the event is being held.
  10. Is it possible to clear up the following morning after a party which finishes at midnight?
    A. Our wedding reception package allows for a pre-event afternoon set up and a morning clean the following day. For parties which finish late an arrangement can be made for access the following morning if there is no booking for that day. Please check with the Bookings Secretary.
  11. How may I pay the hire fee?
    A. By cheque or bank transfer, please

In addition to local caterers we can recommend a local wine merchant who will supply drinks for your event and set up a bar and serve your guests. We can also recommend local florists, B&Bs and self-catering cottages. Please look at our website: www.churchhousecrowcombe.org.uk.